Monday, November 12, 2007

Boulangeries


I'm blissfully in a lunch rut. This is not new for me. In Washington, DC, I was obsessed with bento boxes at Teaism. It seems like in Paris, I will be obsessed with the boulangerie around the corner from my office. This little boulangerie (officially translates to "bakery", but this one is so much more!) has the obligatory racks of baguettes and other tasty breads, an extensive case of pastries, and a very diverse selection of sandwiches and salads. And not just the typical baguette sandwiches (although they have those too, and I do love them), but these yummy sandwiches called "Pavés". A pavé is a big sandwich on almost cibatta-like bread, filled with a variety of things. My favorite is jambon gruyere. This is basically ham and "swiss cheese", with delicious French mayonnaise (not like the stuff in the jar!), tomatoes, eggs (the French love eggs in their sandwiches, it seems) and lettuce. Oh, I am getting hungry just thinking about it. And the best part: the sandwich is only 3.5 euros! For a huge sandwich! Coming from DC where a sandwich was in the $7 range, this is amazing to me. (Ok, let's put the exchange rate to the side for a minute...).

Sometimes, in my weaker moments, I also treat myself to a patisserie (while dealing with the stress of moving abroad, it's important to indulge myself sometimes, right??). Flan au chocolat. Eclair au café. Mille feuille. Ahhhhh.

My coworkers went for sushi today, but I had to have my pavé. I've been eating sushi for years. But real French boulangerie sandwiches?? For at least a few more months, the novelty will keep me hooked.

3 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

Both you and Cassoulet Cafe are talking about yummy French sandwiches today. Being in a place where the closest thing I can get to a pavé is at Subway, I cannot imagine ever getting bored with it. Eclair au cafe'. Envy is welling in me :>)
Enjoy your lunch!
Salut,
LBR

Starman said...

The French government is cracking down on boulangeries because a lot of them aren't making baguettes in the traditional French method. So the government has decided that if they don't want to make the bread in the time accepted method, they can no longer call themselves "boulangerie". It is estimated that 3,000 to 5,000 places will have to remove the word "boulangerie" from their name/title.

My Inner French Girl said...

Bonjour! I just discovered your blog and am already salivating after reading this post. The pave sounds deee-lish! Funny that, I've been craving ham-and-mayo sandwiches all week, but this sounds so much better than what I can scrounge up in my kitchen.

I look forward to reading more of your blog!

Salut,
Marjorie