Saturday, November 10, 2007

Unwanted Roomates?

I am paranoid. Sitting in my apartment and writing, I keep seeing motion out of the corner of my eye. A dark spot on the floor - is it a spider? Something on the baseboard - a mouse? Or, my all time favorite, a camel cricket?? I just learned from Wikipedia that camel crickets are also known as "cave crickets", which is quite appropriate as my apartment in Washington DC was in the basement. (Well, I liked to think of it as a "garden apartment", but...). Anyway, my apartment was overrun with camel crickets. There would even be little camel cricket babies in the bathtub in the mornings every few weeks. Ick. I also had 2 infestations of mice, and an unfortunate run-in with a snake. (I'll share that story some other time.).

The building I lived in, in Washington, was built in the 1940s. My building here in Paris is significantly older. I live on the 5th floor now (ok, 5th FRENCH floor, which equates to the 6th American floor. Floor counting here starts with zero, not one.) But, I cannot believe that this very old apartment building is pest-free. And I know that pests are not deterred by having to travel through walls up to the higher floors. So I'm just biding my time, paranoid, waiting until I see what unwanted roomates are going to join me here in Paris...

1 comment:

Cassoulet Cafe said...

If it's cockroach I'm going to scream! I did see one in a Paris apartment during dinner at a friend's...it was taking it's sweet time walking across the dining room...I detest roaches!