Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Brazilian Secret

I'm mildly in love with Brazil. I won't say "completely obsessed", as that is a designation solely for France at this point, but I'm definitely feeling a strong draw south of the equator. I went to Brazil twice this year for business. And ever since then, I've been seeing Brazilian culture appearing more and more frequently. In fact, when I arrived in Paris, Brazil was everywhere! My landlord had been to Brazil and had a huge collection of Brazilian music (Bebel Gilberto, ahhh.) and art in the apartment. There is a popular club here in Paris called Favela Chic. And everyday I walk by this store (pictured above), filled with Brazilian clothes, accessories and the ubiquitous Havaianas flip flops.

Something I absolutely love about Brazilian culture is their adoration of the curvy female body. This is So Refreshing after growing up in the United States where thinner is better. On my last trip to Brazil, I was watching some television before falling asleep. I know about 20 words of Portuguese, so I didn't really understand much of it, until this infomercial came on: The Brazilian Secret. What is The Brazilian Secret? Well, whereas in the USA we have control top tights, body shapers that slim the body, and push-up bras, in Brazil the idea is to give yourself more curves. Think a padded bra for the bottom. I love it. And in skimpy Brazilian cut underwear style too. Really, click on that link and check it out, what a fantastic concept.

A blogger that I read regularly is living in Brazil and wrote this lovely post about what it means to be gostosa (delicious and fleshy).

And to top it off, TAM airlines has plastered the Paris Metro with advertisements for their new direct flight from Paris to Bahia in an easy (?) 10 hours and 20 minutes. I'm very thankful for my 5 weeks of French vacation right about now...

2 comments:

Gina Coggio said...

THAT IS JUST HILARIOUS!!!! And here I was, living in Brazil and wondering, "Seriously...how is it POSSIBLE that all these women could have the same shaped butt?"

...And now I know.

Amanda said...

Gina, if you ever feel brave enough to order a pair I would love to hear a report of how they work! Maybe that's the key to pulling off some of the Brazilian fashions ;)