Sunday, October 28, 2007

Bittersweet'ish

I'm back in Washington, DC for a week. I'm also slightly delirious from all of the travel (spent 3 days in the Netherlands, got back to Paris at 10:30PM Friday night, then packed and flew out on Saturday morning. Whew!). And with my internal clock on Paris time, I woke up at 4AM this morning.

I'm in DC this week to clean out my apartment and Really Move. My apartment here suddenly feels empty and depressing. I've sold almost all of my furniture, so I'm sleeping on an aerobed and sitting on a folding chair. Not exactly relaxing to come home to. (Can I even call this home right now? Not sure anymore.)

I am 100% sure that moving to Paris is the right thing for me to do. In fact, I can't think of anything else I'd rather do right now, than move to Paris. That being said, it is still sad to leave a place where you've lived for many years. This apartment, this neighborhood, my routine, my friends, it was all great for years. Then suddenly, I make a big decision (to move to Paris), and suddenly this isn't my place or my routine anymore. It's very strange. I know I can come back and visit, but it will never be quite the same.

Anyway, I need to stop thinking and start packing!

1 comment:

Cassoulet Cafe said...

I completely understand your sentiments. It is hard to love two places, so far apart. It's bittersweet.