Tuesday, October 16, 2007

La Greve!

My job requires me to travel ... a lot. On Thursday I have a meeting in Bern, Switzerland. Normally this would not be a problem. Except that this Thursday in particular is la greve (a strike). All of the train workers are striking in France. Well, not all of them, I was assured by an SNCF employee, but 92% of them. Lovely.

Strikes are very common here, so what a better way to kickoff my business travel experience in France than to be inconvenienced by a train strike?! At least the strikers provide advanced notice. And apparently also provide a minimum level of service. Although judging by the pictures I've seen of previous train strikes, it will still not be pretty.

My solution? Arrive on Wednesday night and stay until Friday. Know any Bern hotspots I should check out while I'm in town??

No comments: