Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Composting is good for the environment, right?

On my recent trip to Switzerland, I took the TGV. In first class. Ahhhh. Ok, not quite as luxe as flying first class, but can’t complain.

The French TGV (Trains a Grande Vitesse, aka, High Speed Train) are a popular and easy way to travel around Europe. I have to say it is significantly nicer traveling for work around Europe, than schlepping a huge suitcase and being a broke student (my last European train experience).

One thing I don’t understand: why do you have to compostez votre billet? Before boarding the train, you have to stick your ticket in a machine to composter. (I’m not exactly sure what this means, but I assure you that while the ticket is biodegradable, you do not in fact “compost” it.) Basically, this machine stamps a date and time on your ticket in really small, subtle writing. What is the point? Don’t they check your ticket on the train anyway? Besides, my ticket is non-refundable once the train departure time has passed. If you have any idea about the purpose of composting, please let me know.

I do vividly remember the consequences of not composting though. During one of my first train trips in college I didn’t composte mon billet, and when a conductor came by to check, I got a loud talking-to in French and a hefty fine. So beware!

4 comments:

Ksam said...

Because up until a few years ago, you could exchange your ticket and get a partial (or sometimes even full) refund even after the departure. So a ton of people where buying tickets, hopping on the train, and then going and getting reimbursed for them once they got off.

It's also the reason why many tickets are now only exchangeable up until before the train leaves. So many people were just buying tickets in advance, while the prices were low, even if they weren't sure they could use them, since they could be fully reimbursed. So the train would show up as full, but really wouldn't be because so many people bought tickets they didn't end up using, and people that actually wanted to take the train couldn't because the computer said it was "complet".

I'm telling you, all the crazy rules here usually have a reason behind them, and it often comes down to the fact that too many French had found a loophole & were cheating the system, LOL!!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the info!! Makes total sense. I have heard already from French friends that you have to "use the system because it will use you anyway". Different mentality I guess.

Cassoulet Cafe said...

So glad to have the explanation because I have always wondered that as well!
Yes, I know Frenchies who have the "use the system" mentality as well.
Funny, we posted about the TGV on the same day! :) Except, you're there, and I'm not at the moment.
:(

Starman said...

Your French friends know what most Americans still haven't figured out.