Monday, October 22, 2007

Missed Connection in Paris?

For those of you who are not familiar, you should really check out the "Missed Connections" section on Craigslist for your city. The idea is that if you see someone who is interesting, but for some reason you couldn't meet them, you post an "MC" and hopefully they'll see it and contact you. Ohhhh isn't it a romantic concept?? You see someone on a subway going the opposite direction, your eyes lock, but then the trains are off, never to be seen again! Ok, in reality most of the posts are people who just didn't have the courage to say Hello, but the idea is the same...

Regardless, Missed Connections are very entertaining ... and addictive. In Washington, DC, my friends and I would often lament the fact that we weren't "MC'd" when we thought we were out on the town looking particularly good. Although I have never personally received an MC, one of my friends has ... twice! And after seeing a particularly cute guy on my daily commute, I have even been known to post an MC myself.

When I moved to Paris, I was thrilled to see that Craigslist exists here. The apartment listings and "For Sale" ads aren't too bad. But the MC's are so sparse that they barely warrant a monthly click! In DC, the volume of MCs was so high that you had to check at least daily to keep up with them (although with an MC addiction, this easily turned into 10 times per day). But looking at Paris MCs, there are still posts from over a month ago!! How disappointing.

So, I'm wondering about the cause of this pathetic MC'ing. Is craigslist just not popular enough in Paris? Or, in Paris, the city of Light and Love, do people actually talk to others who they find attractive, rather than resorting to random posts in cyberspace... I guess I will find out in the coming months!

No comments: