Friday, October 26, 2007

Oh wait, now I'm that foreigner.

I’m realizing that every thing I do here reminds me that I am the Other, a Foreigner, the person who just arrived who speaks the language really badly. It’s an interesting position to be in for many reasons. I now have an appreciation for the challenge of moving into a new culture. But also, my awareness of everything is so heightened right now. Everything is a new experience. It makes me appreciate many little things about France and the French, but also, makes me appreciate some things that were so normal about the USA.

It is frustrating at times too. Even the most simple, routine activities become a challenge. For example, this weekend I was grocery shopping. In DC I had a nice grocery shopping routine where I could zip through the store and pick up the essentials, occasionally pausing to check out some new product. In France I am completely stymied when I get into the grocery store. I have to look at Every Single Product. First, I don’t know where anything is. Second, I don’t recognize any of the brand names! I wanted to buy some yogurt, and found myself staring at this huge wall of yogurt for a good 10 minutes, trying to discern the differences between yogurt nature, brassé, grec, demi-ecreme … Same thing with milk – does demi-ecreme mean 1% milk? Is there skim milk? Why is all of the milk in a box and not in a refridgerated case? And the eggs, they’re right on the shelf too! Does that mean they’re regular eggs, or were they specially treated? When I finally got to the checkout, all of my produce purchases were denied because I didn’t weigh and price them myself back in the produce section. I guess I’ll survive on frozen vegetables for a few days…

5 comments:

Cassoulet Cafe said...

I just came across your blog, have only read the first post, but it's great! :)
I know what you mean EXACTLY about looking at each and every item. To me, going to the grocery store was a BLAST but it took forever. I was so intrigued with everything. I did make some bad choices, but we made a lot of good ones, just by playing russian roulette and grabbing a new brand or item each time. I also looked at what our family and friends (native Frenchies) would have on their tables and then copycat them on brand names. :)
I can't wait to read about more of your adventures! HAVE FUN!

La Belette Rouge said...

Bonjour Amanda,
Your shopping adventure sounds like fun. Not much adventure to be had when I go the market in the states. Hope you are coming home with some unexpected treasures. No one goes hungry in Paris, right?
Bon chance!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I used to agreed with the axiom "nobody like the French". But in the past year so many things have come into my life to show me that the French have a zest for pleasures in life unlike we Americans do. Now I ascribe to the axiom "How can you not love a country that has more cheeses than days of the year". I have read other expat blogs, but like yours because I am beginning it with your arrival in France. All the best to you and I look forward to sharing your experience.

Amanda said...

Glad you're enjoying it so far. There are many more adventures (and frustrations and discoveries) to come, I'm sure...

An Ex-Ex-ExPat said...

Hiya, I stumbled (happily) upon your blog and have enjoyed reading it. I started to write out a long explanation on the difference in the yogurts when it occurred to me that your question may have been rhetorical. :)
Enjoy your new home!